Orthodontic treatment is not just for children and teens. At London Family Orthodontics, we believe everyone deserves to discover their smile. No one is too old for orthodontic treatment.
Adults may seek orthodontic treatment for many reasons. Some adults had orthodontic problems as children but were unable to correct them. Others, who previously had treatment, may need further care as adults due to relapse or limitations in initial treatment. Adults may also need orthodontic treatment when preparing for restorative work (i.e. crowns, implants, bridges, etc.) with their general dentist.
Dr. Danielle London has treated many individuals in their 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s! It is never too late to discover your smile.
Benefits of Adult Orthodontics
There are many benefits to orthodontic treatment as an adult, including those listed below:
- Alignment of the teeth to create a more aesthetic and beautiful smile
- Improved oral hygiene by improving the ability to brush and floss overcrowded, crooked, or unevenly spaced teeth
- Better oral hygiene leads to lower risk for cavities and gum disease because of more effective removal of plaque
- Decreased risk of abnormal deterioration with age
- Correct relapse that has occurred since previous orthodontic treatment
- Address missing teeth
- Create an enhanced, more comfortable bite that improves the ability to chew food
- Reduce excessive wear on the teeth due to grinding or an improper bite
While creating an esthetic smile with physical improvements is the most obvious benefit of what we do, there are many other benefits to orthodontic treatment.
- Many studies have revealed psychological benefits of a beautiful smile
- Increased self-esteem and confidence
- Previous research has shown people with a beautiful smile have more career success
- Your smile is a reflection of you!
Appearance of Braces
Many adults are concerned with the appearance of traditional metal braces. Often, Invisalign or LightForce can be superior alternatives to meet the needs of adults. Invisalign treatment involves clear removable aligners, fabricated through advanced 3D imaging, to align the teeth. LightForce is a fully-customizable 3D printed option that are available in clear and white brackets.
Soreness | Discomfort
Unfortunately, adults undergoing orthodontic treatment report the same level of soreness as children. Typically, the teeth are most uncomfortable 12-24 hours after an orthodontic adjustment and discomfort subsides within 3 to 5 days. Modern appliances and techniques put less pressure on the teeth, reducing discomfort and moving the teeth more efficiently. It also increases the time required between adjustments.
The fee for adult orthodontic treatment is determined the same way as child or adolescent treatment. It is based on the collaborative and comprehensive treatment process necessary to deliver a beautiful, healthy, and lasting smile. Schedule your free consultation today!